Resolved
1.5
Style and Design

Update by user Oct 25, 2015

After contacting the Better Business Bureau, they notified Wedding Wire about my complaint. Wedding Wire immediately agreed to issue me a full refund.

It took almost a month to get the refund - I had to contact the BBB one more time before the refund was actually issued. That same day someone left me fake negative feedback on Wedding Wire, which I immediately disputed. They removed the feedback and have me permanently blacklisted from their site, but my business still shows up. You can still access my reviews but not anything about my business.

Also, my website shows where all my traffic comes from each month. Wedding Wire always had 4% every month which I suspect means that the acct rep is required to do the click thrus to my site a certain number of times.

The day they closed my account the click thrus stopped and wedding wire stopped showing up on my website. In the entire time I was stuck advertising with them I never got a single legitimate lead from them, and other ministers i have spoken to in my market have said the same thing.

Original review posted by user Sep 25, 2015

I have been stuck in a contract for the past few months. I can't WAIT until I can get out of it.

NOTHING has happened for my business. All I get are FAKE inquiries, which I am positive are from wedding wire staff itself. They claim I am getting "Click thrus" from their site, but my website shows me where the clicks are coming from and they are NOT from wedding wire.

I have not been hired a single time from a wedding wire consumer and when I threaten to stop advertising I get nasty emails and threats of being put into collections. I HATE them and warn everyone NOT to advertise with this loser company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Weddingwire Leads.

Reason of review: No Business.

I didn't like: Prices, Honesty, Ethics.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Sep 25, 2015.

Comments

njremington

All you have to do is use the BBB's online complaint form. They are very fast and efficient and Wedding Wire will cooperate fully with the BBB.

In your complaint make sure you ask for the exact amount of refund you are entitled to. Also, expect Wedding Wire to retaliate in some manner by posting a fake "less than flattering" review of your company and then not allowing you anymore access to your account.

They are a dirty, sneaky company and a class action suit should be filed against them and all the other ones out there like them.... Wedfolio, The Knot, etc.

This review sounds like the one I am going to write myself about this scam of a company. I want to call the BBB and start the process of getting a full refund from them.

Can you share the number here? Did you call the BBB in Chevy Chase, MD?

njremington

One FINAL update after all this time. The person who left me the negative feedback was obviously paid by Wedding Wire to do so and clearly felt guilty about the review she left.

About a month ago left me glowing feedback on my page and has recommended me to her friends. Wedding Wire plays dirty games and is one of the biggest scams out there.

njremington

UPDATE: I reported them to the Better Business Bureau and received a reply that they would cancel my contract and issue me a refund. It has been 2 weeks and the refund has not yet come, so I am contacting the BBB again.

ALSO, I got my very FIRST bride from Wedding Wire 2 nights ago. I did her wedding, and I did it very well. She told me she found me on Wedding Wire. First time this has EVER happened.

And then, the very next day, she left me a pretty bad review on Wedding Wire's website. I believe it was a setup - a revenge move on Wedding Wire's part because they were angry with me for contacting the BBB.

The bride had nothing to criticize because I gave her 5 star service. I disputed the review, so I am interested to see what Wedding Wire does with it.

Salem, Virginia, United States #1041117

I just read your post. From a photography company's perspective, they're all lack-luster -- My Wedding, Borrowed and Blue, brides.com, Wedding Vibe and all the others competing in the wedding vertical for bride dollars via the advertising vendors (17 in the U.S.

generating over 5 million in annual revenues; collectively “wedding vertical ad sites”).

The primary issue is cost over value (i.e. ROI) -- to the bride and to vendors like our company -- but also false primacy and privacy. Taking cost over value first: cumulatively, those companies generated over $1.3 Billion in FY 2014 revenues just from vendors listing fees (e.g. venues, photographers, officiants, etc.).

The Knot alone generated the XO Group $81.7 million from local and online advertising (i.e. vendor listing fees). Now, consider that the total amount spent on wedding vendors by brides (et. al) on 2014 weddings for costs associated with wedding vendors was $39.7 bill ($58 bill = est.

total wedding spend on 2.2 mil weddings). A little math: $1.3/$39.7 = 3.275% or $599 per wedding. WOW, on average nearly $600 cost per wedding is attributable to vendors (in globo) paying to list on wedding vertical ad sites!

In 2014 our cost per wedding attributable to wedding vertical ad sites listing cost was approx 4%. That’s peanuts, but we’re not typical; we buy ad space and pay at volume, which correlates to our volume business.

Most photographers are lucky to shoot 16 weddings per year at approx $2,400 per wedding, and spend an average of $5,713 to list on wedding vertical ad sites. This is obviously where the numbers get bad. Those photographers are spending approx 15% of shoot cost billable to brides that is attributable to wedding vertical ad sites listings. That’s bad, but it’s even worse for venues at approximately 22% of cost billable to brides that is attributable to wedding vertical ad sites (they typically may more for listing).

Obviously, these high percentages translate to low margins and unpredictability, but moreover prevent vendors from improving their product and/or service, from innovating and from investing in knowledge & education and ensuring their compliance with laws and even insurance coverages. We hear this same story from our thousands of wedding vendor partners; the ROI simply isn’t there for the vast majority of those listing on wedding vertical ad sites. They do continue to list, but vendors are looking for a better option. But what does that mean to the bride-customer of said vendors?

Foremost, they’re paying an additional $600 on average for their wedding, attributable to wedding vertical ad sites. But they are also in many cases contracting with the vendors mentioned hereinabove that must cut costs to hang on, and those cuts have very real implication to service and ramifications to product quality and price. The $2400 dollar photography contract tends to turn into an additional $300 to $700 for prints and/or products due to copyright and print restrictions. Also, there tend to be limitations on number of images captured and edited.

The bride is ultimately being blind-sided by after-thought upcharge, and short-changed in terms of imagery. The same metrics exist for most vendor categories.

False primacy is the second large issue with these wedding vertical ad sites. Join for free, get a very simple but low listed non-existent SEO placing, with virtually no customer interest. Pay for a basic listing, get a little better placement, but with little more customer interest.

As you move up in listing price, you get better placement (featured, premium, etc.), you get awards or special banners (“wink”) for being so great, and yes you attract more bride attention. After all, if you’re at the top or in the top percentile of list you must be great, right? Wrong! That vendor – whether good or not -- pays a great deal more for featured/premium listing, which typically does not get offset by any measurable volume.

So now, an inexperienced vendor has debt along with their top placement, and is buying awards to hook brides. Additionally, now the wedding vertical ad site ‘has’ the vendor, and they use the vendor in a number of ways to attract more vendors. Still, the bride gets nothing out of this. Only the wedding vertical ad site wins.

Finally, there’s privacy, or lack thereof.

Each of the wedding vertical ad sites listed hereinabove bombard brides to opt-in to all communication (defeating CAN-SPAM), and force agreement to surrender their personal data to be used internally to up-sale them and to be sold to commercial data warehouses. Now, this is nothing new. Consumers agree to the same with most websites they sign-up on. But wedding vertical sites also take data from the vendor(s) brides’ contract with and aggregate it to push initial wedding products, and later baby products, home products, etc.

The moral of the story is that wedding vertical ad sites deliver little to no ROI for the average vendor; harsh but true, they are predatorial towards their vendors and their brides.

So this got us to thinking, what if there was a site that only charged vendors when they made a sale, never before? And what if that charge was a fixed 10%, no matter what vendor category or contract amount, but with an incentive cost structure down to 5% with volume vendors? The vendor will get a “Highend” Theme WordPress one-page styled customizable listing, with the ability to add any information they want, a VOIP toll-free phone number extension and email address, contracting and payment services, unlimited file storage, unlimited collaboration and CRM platform use, and an order to sales channel for discounted prints & products. Optional, are a third-party background screening and discounted premium insurance to demonstrate trustworthiness.

The vendor never has to worry what the ROI will be because it’s based solely on their sales in fixed-amount, and they do not need to worry about many high operations costs because they are inclusive. Brides have the peace-of-mind knowing that they’re vendors are screened, insured, using proper contracts and secured payment platforms, and moreover that their cost is not inflated by costs of predatory wedding vertical ad sites.

The forthcoming site is named ‘http://www.WeddingVendor.Space’. Dan